When news happens, text KENEWS and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Duggan in but Dunn out as Kendal fixtures are revealed
KENDAL Town have made their first signing of the summer as pre-season began with three tough games in five days.
Former Fleetwood Town man Jack Duggan, who missed all of last season with a broken leg, has signed on the dotted line, and with other sides sniffing around for the centre back’s signature, Town manager Lee Ashcroft made sure he got his man this week.
Ashcroft hopes to make some decisions about which triallists will stay and go after the Blackburn Rovers match this Saturday as he tries to shape his squad for next season.
"A fit Jack Duggan is a player anyone would want so I’m delighted that he’s agreed to play for us this season.
“I’ve made my mind up on about 70 per cent of the squad for next season, so it’s just the other 30 per cent I need to sort out now.”
Pacy striker Josh Kenworthy, who bagged 16 goals in 17 games for Lancaster City two years ago, and former Wigan Athletic shot-stopper Josh Welsby are among the triallists Ashcroft will decide on, as well as full back Andy Leigh, midfielder Gavin Malin, and Ambleside United player Mike Barron among others.
Midfielder Ashley Dunn is trialling with clubs further up the football pyramid and is unlikely to return to the club next season, although if his trials fail to work out Ashcroft says the door will always remain open for him to return.
Meanwhile the fixtures have been released for the 2012-2013 Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division, and Town will entertain Stafford Rangers on the opening day on Saturday, August 18.
The fixtures have been kind to the Black and Whites over the Christmas period as they face the short trip to AFC Fylde on Boxing Day, and Parkside Road is likely to be packed on New Year’s Day as Chorley, who beat Kendal in the Lancashire Trophy Final last season, come to Westmorland.
Town’s home game against FC United of Manchester, which always attracts a massive crowd, will take place on Saturday, February 2, while the last match of the season sees the Black and Whites entertain Buxton on April 27.
Ashcroft added: “It doesn’t really matter who we’re playing first, last and in the middle, it’s a difficult league but the players are fit, we’ve got a bit of pace and if we can defend well as a team we’ll do well this season.”
- AFC Fylde
- Ashton United
- Blyth Spartans
- Eastwood Town
- FC United of Manchester
- Frickley Athletic
- Grantham Town
- Hednesford Town
- Kendal Town
- Matlock Town
- Nantwich Town
- North Ferriby United
- Rushall Olympic
- Stafford Rangers
- Stocksbridge Park Steels
- Whitby Town
- Witton Albion
- Worksop Town