BLAKE Mahovic marked his selection for the Great Britain rugby league student squad’s summer tour of New Zealand with two tries as a depleted Broughton Park stunned Kendal at Mint Bridge.

After Mahovic’s early score, Kendal seized the initiative with tries from Garry Holmes, Alistair Thompson and Glen Chesher before Michael Butt touched down for the visitors before the break.

Tom Ranaboldo, Chris Martin, Donald George and Mahovic crossed the line in the second period as Broughton Park forged a lead, with Matty Houghton and Holmes replying for the hosts.

The away side were without up to 13 first-team players with Kendal also missing Dan Lowther and Ian Voortman while injury restricted Billy Coxon to a place on the bench.

After an early spell of Kendal pressure, a quickly taken penalty allowed Broughton Park to spread play to the wing where Mahovic produced a powerful run to score, with Max Proctor converting.

The hosts restored parity on seven minutes after Broughton Park conceded a penalty, Holmes touching down following the pack’s drive to the line, as Andrew Boardley tied the game.

And moments later, the Black and Ambers held the lead for the first time in the match, Boardley successfully kicking a penalty after scrum-half Stephen Elliott was caught offside.

The Mint Bridge side extended their advantage further after quarter of an hour, Alistair Thompson breaking the Broughton Park defence to ground the ball and score his first try of the season.

Boardley added a further penalty before Chesher scored five more points, the loosehead prop crossing the line after another strong drive from the forwards.

The final score of the half came from Broughton Park centre Martin who reduced the arrears following a Mahovic break, with the score 23-12 in Kendal’s favour at half-time.

However, within ten minutes of the re-start the game was turned completely on its head as the away side ran in three tries without reply to surge ahead in the contest.

Ranaboldo was the first to dent the Kendal advantage, smashing over after Chris Huntley impressively stole ball from the home side’s maul.

Immediately from the re-start Broughton Park were on the attack again as Martin drifted through a gap to score, with Proctor’s conversion establishing a lead.

A minute later, play was moved to the right flank where a passing phase was finished by prop George, with Proctor’s successful kick meaning 19 points were scored in just six minutes.

A recovery was by no means beyond Kendal, Houghton taking full advantage of a stray pass to cross the line with Boardley’s conversion reducing the Broughton Park advantage to a solitary point.

Shortly after the hour mark, the game swung in Broughton Park’s favour once more with Mahovic scoring again after the breakdown of a Kendal attack, as Proctor converted.

Following the withdrawal of Richard Harryman, Jordan Johnson and Coxon through injury, the hosts set up a rousing finale as Holmes broke away for his second try, which Boardley converted.

The Kendal charge never really materialised in the final five minutes, with the Black and Ambers left to console themselves with a seventh losing bonus point of the campaign.

Kendal: Glen Chesher, Duncan Green, Richard Harryman, Liam Hayton, Reece Tomlinson, Garry Holmes, James Cox, James Thompson, James Gough (c), Chris Park, Jordan Johnson, Alistair Thompson, Matty Houghton, Andrew Boardley, Mark Carruthers. Replacements: Billy Coxon, Rob Wightman, Brad Jackson

Broughton Park: Conor Mitchell, Andrew Selby, Donald George, Richard Barton, Tom Ranaboldo, Jack Williams, Patrick O’Donnell, David Hanley (c), Stephen Elliott, Max Proctor, Warren Duffy, Chris Martin, Michael Butt, Blake Mahovic, Jake Nelson. Replacements: Jonathan Beadmore, Chris Huntley, Simon Jude