THE tone has been set for Kendal RUFC to kick on in the second half of the season following a big win at Bolton, insists director of rugby Steve Whitehead.

The Shap Road club ran in seven tries as they stormed to victory over the newly-promoted outfit on Saturday and Whitehead, whose team sit in third place in North One West, seven points behind leaders Birkenhead Park, was delighted with the performance.

"We have got to start the second half of the season strongly," he said. "We need to ensure we continue in that vein. Every side is going out to win their games and you're not always going to have your own way but you have got to do what you can to influence that as much as you can.

"We put on a couple of extra training sessions on and that was important. At this level you can't demand they don't go and enjoy themselves but if you've got any aspiration or pride you need to keep the knock-ons from the festivities at bay and they did that."

Despite the emphatic 53-8 scoreline, Whitehead insists it wasn't all plain sailing.

"Bolton are a side who have come up from the division below and maybe lack a bit of fitness," he said. "But what they lack in that they have in desire and physicality and have one or two cultured players.

"The first half was about wearing them down and taking the sting out of their attack. The second half we played as we set out and the pleasing thing is we stuck to the game plan and executed it right through to the 80th minute."

Glen Weightman was in stunning kicking form and picked up 23 points from the match, including a first-half try.

"He keeps sides very honest," said Whitehead. "He prevents them infringing and slowing the ball because they know if they are caught they will be punished from pretty much anywhere.

"I was really pleased with the way he managed the game and his communication with the forwards and backs was first class."

Kendal host fifth-placed Penrith on Saturday and Whitehead is expecting a tough game.

"It was a bruising one last time," he said. "I think we picked up four injuries that took over a month to heal. I think it will be one for the supporters but maybe not for the physios!"