Philip Hindes admitted to crashing deliberately after helping to propel Great Britain team-mate Sir Chris Hoy to a fifth Olympic gold on an opening night of high drama at the London 2012 Velodrome.

Hoy, Hindes and Jason Kenny won the three-man, three-lap team sprint in a world record of 42.600 seconds, beating France in a repeat of the final four years' ago in Beijing. Specialist starter Hindes picked himself up off the track before the first bend after a poor start in qualifying. Officials restarted the heat.

The 19-year-old German-born rider, who has a British father and joined British Cycling's academy in October 2010, said: "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really."

British Cycling suggested Hindes' comments were "lost in translation" from a man who began learning English only after moving to Manchester to train at the velodrome, while the International Cycling Union confirmed the result was not in question, with Britain taking gold ahead of France and Germany bronze.

There was no rule to govern the incident and no appeal is possible, with France accepting the final outcome.

In the post-race press conference, Hindes denied it was deliberate when asked directly about his earlier comments.

"No. I just went out the gate and just lost control, just fell down," he said. "My back wheel slipped and totally lost control and then I couldn't handle the bike any more and just crashed."

The women's event ended in Team GB's Jess Varnish and Victoria Pendleton being relegated for a takeover infringement. The duo had qualified second fastest for the final before falling victims to officialdom, meaning Varnish's Games was over.

Pendleton said: "It's just one of those things. Now and again rubbish things happen and this is one of those days. "The only positive is I know my form is really good because that's by far the fastest second lap I've ever done and then I backed it up with the second ride."