A SOUTH Lakeland man who received the North's first pre-hospital transfusion of plasma following a near-fatal motorbike accident has made a remarkable recovery.

John Beaumont was riding his Suzuki GSX-R 600 motorcycle on his way to work in Kendal when he was involved in a collision with a car which left his life hanging in the balance.

The father-of-two suffered horrific injuries in the crash, which happened at the junction of Windermere Road and Hollins Lane, Burneside, on May 27, 2016. Mr Beaumont said he ‘t-boned’ the vehicle in the collision.

Mr Beaumont sustained a shattered face, broken femur, snapped forearm, broken shoulder blade, fractured collar bone, five spinal fractures, four neck fractures, a broken leg, nerve damage and a brain herniation.

He was treated at the roadside by the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) and was put into a medically induced coma by the doctor-led team. One unit of blood and one unit of plasma were administered. It was the first time plasma was used by the aircrew after the charity launched a trial of the pioneering pre-hospital treatment just days before.

GNAAS paramedic Andy Dalton said: “When we arrived, John was laid next to the car. When we see a motorcyclist like this, we know that the patient has absorbed all of the energy from the collision.

“Often, when riders are thrown in the air, this diffuses some of the energy which means they stand a better chance of survival. John had hit the car and stopped, taking the full impact, which means all the energy went into his body. This can – and did cause catastrophic injuries.”

John was flown to the Royal Preston Hospital where he spent four weeks in a coma.

The self-employed woodsman said: “It was touch and go. Extremely close. Doctors did not know if I would survive. Many people are flabbergasted that I did with the amount of injuries I sustained.

“I have no doubt that I wouldn’t be here without GNAAS. It’s phenomenal.”

John has since visited the charity’s Langwathby airbase with his children, Jewel, 11, and Jara, 6, where he met Mr Dalton who was at the scene and thanked the paramedics personally.

Andy Barrington, the GNAAS doctor who gave the transfusion, said: “John had that terrible combination of multiple injuries that were causing blood loss and serious head injuries. Such were the severity of those injuries, we weren’t really expecting him to survive. But nevertheless we used all the tools at our disposal, including plasma.

“In order to prevent ongoing damage to the brain, you have to preserve blood flow. Being able to top him up with blood and plasma was key to him having a reasonable chance of recovery."