DESPITE competing well throughout the 90 minutes, Kendal Town lost 2-0 at promotion chasers Radcliffe FC on Tuesday evening.

The visitors fell behind due to Scott Metcalfe’s free kick after 41 minutes but were still in contention until Ben Wharton’s goal 13 minutes from time sealed a win which took the home side to the top of the table.

Radcliffe had dominated the opening stages and created early opportunities through Aaron Burns while Metcalfe’s effort was fumbled behind for a corner by Matthew Johnson.

The home team continued to probe and Tunde Owolabi saw his goalbound effort crash off the post, before the home talisman then had an effort cleared after rounding Johnson in the Kendal goal.

With half time approaching, the home side broke the deadlock when Metcalfe’s free kick found the top right hand corner of the net.

However, Kendal hit back and almost equalised on the stroke of half time after Inout Anghel’s free kick rebounded off the post.

Radcliffe controlled the second half with Owalabi, Elliot Rokka, and Rick Smith creating half chances, while Wharton volleyed the ball wide from close range.

And the home side sealed the win after 77 minutes when Wharton headed the ball into the net after getting onto the end of a whipped free kick by Matthew Crothers.

Lewis Wainwright almost pulled one back on 83 minutes as his speculative effort from 20 yards nearly caught out home keeper Ollie Martin, but it was not to be and the game ended 2-0.

The defeat follows Saturday’s home reverse against Leek Town which came despite a valiant late comeback.

With just five minutes remaining, the visitors appeared to be strolling to a 3-0 victory after dominating most of the game.

But to their credit, Town kept going and notched what appeared to be a consolation goal on 86 minutes when Aiden Pearson volleyed the ball home from close range.

Then in the dying seconds, Kendal were awarded a penalty and despite Aaron Helliwell seeing his initial attempt saved, he managed to score the rebound to set up a dramatic finish.

Unfortunately, that eleventh hour rally proved to be in vain as Leek held out to secure a win which had always looked the most likely outcome.

Town had given debuts to Tom Routledge and Peter Baxendale while loan man Joao Mendez returned in goal, and Mendez was busy in the opening stages, saving well from Tim Grice.

The visitors continued to create opportunities, most notably through Grice who saw his overhead kick cleared off the line, yet though Kendal struggled to create any opportunities, they went in at half time all square.

The deadlock was broken on 56 minutes when Rio Adebisi capitalised on a mistake from Sope Awe before his effort clipped off a Kendal defender and into the net.

Kendal created their first real opportunity soon after when Wainwright’s effort was pushed away by Leek shot stopper Daniel Roberts, but a quickfire double from Trickett Smith made it 3-0, and despite that late home revival, the visitors hung on to take the points.