For the second consecutive week Cumbria make a long journey south, this time to Newark to face Notts, Lincs and Derby (NLD) in the Bill Beaumont County Championship.

For the first quarter of the game it looked as if it was the home side who had just got off the coach and had to run the journey out of their legs as Cumbria ripped into them.

In the first five minutes Cumbria scored their first try after kicking a penalty to the 22, they won good lineout ball and moved the ball into midfield where centre Mark Ireland made the break and set up his fellow centre Peter Weightman who had the simple task of running the ball in under the posts.

Ireland slotted the conversion with ease and then inside ten minutes put his side ten points to the good with a penalty when the home defence conceded when on the back foot after a good run by Tom Graham.

NLD then rallied and it was the visitors who found themselves conceding penalties rather the home side who had initially got on the wrong side of the referee.

Cumbria were penalised a couple of times in quick succession and were defending deep in their own 22 when they were penalised again, this tap was quickly taken and the try scored before the visitor's defence could organise themselves.

An elusive run by Gary Hodgson then got the Cumbrians back on the front foot and they were in good a position close to the home line when NLD were penalised and had a man yellow carded at the breakdown.

They opted for the set scrum against seven home forwards and won quick ball, Hodgson broke from No8 and from the ruck the ball was moved quickly wide to the right where Dini Noyo sped in at the corner to restore the visitor's ten point advantage.

Penalties conceded then by Cumbria then allowed the home side good field position deep in their 22 and some strong running saw the home side score a second try and reduce the deficit to only five points.

A searing break by centre Weightman took play to the home 22 where they were again penalised as they attempted to smother the Cumbrian attack.

The penalty was kicked to the corner on the stroke of half time, the visitor's lineout was functioning well and Graham found Ben Leacock who secured possession and James Thompson was set up for a charge at the line. He ended up on his back over the line but the touch judge confirmed the ball had been grounded and the try was given, Ireland added the conversion and Cumbria had a 22-10 lead at the break.

Cumbria couldn't have made a better start to the second period as they scored from their own restart, the ball was knocked back and then gathered by scrum half James Telford who beat several defenders in broken play, he then set up Henry Wainwright who powered into the 22 before getting the ball away centre Weightman who crashed over. Within another five minuted they added added a fifth try from a lineout on the NLD 22.

At 34-10 Cumbria looked comfortable but they were then unlucky to lose Mark Irving to a red card after a long discussion between the referee and his touch judge, the final 30 minutes then became a bit of a damage limitation exercise being a man down.

They did concede a further three tries but just when they were getting under a bit of pressure replacement winger Harry Huddlestone took a smart interception and ran three quarters the length of the field to score under the posts and settle the nerves. In the end Cumbria ran out comfortable winners and now face a home game at Aspatria against Oxfordshire and need a win to progress.