Flight problems are less stressful if you know your rights, book ATOL-protected flights, and take out comprehensive travel insurance. If a problem does happen, check the Citizens Advice website for detailed help.

Delays: Airlines should provide you with assistance depending on how long your flight is delayed. Contact the Civil Aviation Authority to see if you are entitled to compensation under EU rules.

Cancellations: If your flight gets cancelled you have the legal right to a full refund paid within seven days or a replacement or alternative flight. The airline may also have to help you with other things like food or accommodation.

Strikes: Your rights are the same as with other cancellations or delays.

Luggage: If your luggage is delayed, lost or damaged and the airline is at fault, you have the legal right to claim compensation from the airline. But act quickly and check deadlines. If you have insurance that covers luggage, you might be better off making an insurance claim instead.

Airline goes under: If your flight is ATOL protected it means that you are guaranteed a refund if a company collapses (and a return flight home if you are stranded). If not, but you used a credit card, you could try claiming against your credit card company. Or your travel insurance may cover ‘scheduled airline failure’.

You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems.

We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and on-going enquiries.

Please note the opening hours at Windermere have been reduced, but contact details remain the same.