FIRE safety warnings have been issued as multiple crews were called out to a Kendal blaze thought to have been caused by a man leaving cooking unattended.

With more and more people working from home, a spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) said there was “potential for more fires” with cooking labelled a “major concern”.

And on Sunday at around 10pm two fire engines and a rapid response vehicle were mobilised to attend a blaze in a flat on Rydal Road, Kendal.

A CFRS spokesman said crews rescued one male - a ‘young adult’ though to be in his 20s or 30s - from a fire thought to have been caused “by an unattended kitchen pan".

The flames were confined to the kitchen area and firefighters used two sets of breathing apparatus and a high-pressure hose reel jet to extinguish them.

The man fortunately suffered no injuries but was treated by the North West Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation at the scene.

CFRS has expressed concern that incidents such as these could become more common amid the coronavirus outbreak, with many people at home for the foreseeable future.

Will Richardson, CFRS group manager for fire prevention, said: “It’s absolutely vital that in these uncertain and unprecedented times people don’t forget about basic fire safety in the home.

“Clearly, with increased numbers of people indoors for much longer periods of time, there is a heightened risk of fire.

“This is about keeping you and your loved ones safe and we must all do what we can to not add pressure to our already challenged NHS.

“There are simple things we can all do to ensure we are keeping safe while we are all spending more time at home. The first thing you can do is test that your smoke alarms are working.”

Other tips which CFRS has for staying safe include:

lNever leave cooking unattended, avoid cooking under the influence of alcohol and always turn off kitchen appliances when finished with them.

lMake sure cigarettes are fully extinguished and take care not to fall asleep with a lighted cigarette.

lKeep heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them to dry clothes.

lDo not overload electrical outlets - ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use; apart from ones which are designed to be left on, such as freezers.

Mr Richardson added: “This is all about basic fire safety awareness and the checks we are advising will take just a few minutes to carry out to keep you and your family safe.”