THE lettered stonework above the Odd-Fellows’ Hall on Highgate Bank, previously the site of The Unicorn Inn.

Built and designed by local architect George Webster in 1833 for the Odd-Fellows’ the hall was a social meeting place, with part of it being used as the Nelson Tavern. In 1890-91 as the Peoples Palace, it provided entertainment for the working classes. It has also been the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• See next week for the location of the picture below.

Where is it and what is it? (Picture: Norman Holloway)

Where is it and what is it? (Picture: Norman Holloway)