KIRKBY Lonsdale’s latest match saw them bring a changed team to Priory Park in the game against Macclesfield.

This week saw Charlie Oates step up from the Development squad for his debut in the 1st XV. 

Macclesfield were celebrating their “Hero’s Day” in tribute to their working volunteers.

Macclesfield kicked off on a cool Autumn afternoon under floodlights.

Kirkby gathered the ball but were penalised in the following ruck. The resultant lineout saw a further infringement by Kirkby.

The home side took advantage of the lineout and their forwards drove over for the first try of the game.

The conversion was good and Macclesfield led by seven points to nil after five minutes.

From the kick off Kirkby applied pressure to their opponents and were rewarded with a penalty inside the 22.

Williams stepped up to put Kirkby on the board but the ball glanced past the post.

The drop out gave Kirkby the ball to launch a further attack and the home side fell foul of the referee and Kirkby had the chance of another score.

Unfortunately, the kick was wide and the score remained at nil.

As the game progressed it was evident that the heavier pack of Macclesfield were taking charge of the forward’s battle.

A free-flowing move by the home side backs put their number 14 in at the corner for their second try. No conversion this time as the score moved to 12-0 half way through the first half.

The gathered ball by Mac from the kick off resulted in Kirkby being penalised in the ruck for not rolling away and received a yellow card.

Macclesfield won the line out following the penalty and the pack rumbled over the Kirkby line for their 3rd try, converted.

19-0 the Macclesfield. The next 10 minutes saw the home side made the most of playing against 14 men with two further tries before half time giving a lead of 31 points.

Kirkby started the second half with full of confidence but the kick was short of the 10 meters and Mac had a scum back on the centre spot.

The impending pressure by the home side resulted in try number six following some slick handling by the backs.

The kick off went straight out and Kirkby must have felt it was not their day when the scrum produced another yellow card against the prop.

Two minutes later the Macclesfield pack, who were now dominating the forwards, went over again to move the score to 45-0.

During this period of play a further yellow card compounded Kirkby’s problems for not rolling away in the maul, which was harsh as he was trapped by the home team’s no.9.

Backs against the wall, Kirkby came back with some good rugby, especially in the backs but not managing to get over the line.

Two further tries by the home side in the dying minutes gave Macclesfield a deserving 59 nil win.

There are still positives to be taken away by Kirkby, especially their commitment and spirit until the final whistle, but unfortunately this was not your day.

Kirkby will regroup over the next seven days when we welcome Sandal to Underley Park.