KIRKBY Lonsdale took on York RUFC in what was their first visit to Underley Park.

Despite weather concerns, the sun pushed through the heavy murky mist that dogged the morning weather.

The home supporters were excited to see the return of Captain Ben Walker after injury but David Cooper-Dunn was missing.

However, a more settled side for this fixture.

Kirkby kicked off to the town end with a meaningful attack resulting in Stu Storey crossing the line for the first try of the match. Converted by Ben Walker, the score was 7-0 to the home side with five minutes on the clock.

From the restart, York piled on the pressure culminating in a Kirkby infringement and a penalty was awarded in front of the posts.

The kick was good and the score moved to 7-3 after ten minutes.

The home side took the game to the visitors with the next 20 minutes playing in the York half but their defence held firm.

A kick up field gave York the opportunity for their backs to run the ball and against the run of play the visitors number eleven went over for their first converted try.

Thirty minutes in the score stood at 7-10.

The home side continued to exert pressure but the score remained the same as the first half ended.

The second half saw Kirkby on the attack again in this third quarter but the York forwards heavier pack started to gain momentum in the middle of the park.

Using their weight in the rucks resulted in a period of pressure when the ball went passed to their wing who made it count with a try in the corner. The conversion passed by the posts and the score moved to 7-15. Both sides played end to end rugby running into the fourth quarter.

An opportunity came Kirkby way following a ruck when the ball was kicked through over the York goal line and a race ensued to touch the ball down. Unfortunately, the York player beat Dan Helme to the ball. York went on the attack to try and seal the game running the ball down the stand side of the pitch.

The final pass was intercepted by Charlie Oats who headed up field with the home crowd cheering him on as the try line loomed. Yorks swift number 10 overhauled Charlie 22 meters out.

The game then moved into the visitor’s half with fire in the bellies of the home side.

Kirkby forwards took the ball to the opposition and with his forwards behind him, Archie Bradshaw went over for Kirkby's second try.

The conversion missed but the score moved to 12-15 with seven minutes remaining.

The home side had their tails up and attacked from the restart moving the ball from one side to the other. In front of their posts, York gave away a penalty and Ben Walker stepped up to take the three points. 15-15 with 3 mins plus injury to play.

No further score the game was drawn.

From a home spectators’ perspective, our young players who have stepped up this season are now gelling into first team rugby and with the older players experience, the second half of the season looks promising.

A Happy Christmas to You All from Kirkby Lonsdale RUFC.