AN investigation is underway after an 18-year-old girl was taken ill during a night out in Lancaster city centre.

The girl, of Heysham, had been out with friends on Thursday evening and reported feeling breathless after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm.

There she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.

She is currently in a serious but stable condition.

Lancashire Police continues to work closely with partner agencies and the licensed premises involved.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said: "The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."