Q: My gym will only allow me to cancel my membership in person. This is written in the contract but I’ve since moved away from the area. What can I do?

A: To end your gym membership you will need to follow the terms of the contract. However, it’s also possible to challenge terms which are designed to keep you tied into the contract.

Start by writing a letter (use recorded delivery), or email, explaining why you can't end your membership in person.

If the gym won’t accept your written cancellation ask if they’ve got a complaints procedure in place which you can follow. If not, then send another letter giving them a final chance to end the contract.

If they still won’t agree to cancelling your contract get in touch with an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme - an independent complaints body which settles disputes.

You can also contact the Consumer Service or your nearest Citizens Advice for help on cancelling contracts which include possible unfair terms.

Free, confidential advice and help is available from South Lakes Citizens Advice on any aspect of debt, consumer problems, benefits, housing, employment or any other problems. We have various outlets across South Lakeland and can also give advice over the phone – telephone 03444 111 444 for an appointment and help, 015394 46464 for debt and on-going enquiries.