KENDAL Town paid the price for a late mistake as they lost 2-1 at Colne on Saturday.

Colne took an 11th-minute lead through Alex Curran, before Kendal’s Rick Seear equalised against his former side.

But the hosts secured the win with just six minutes remaining when Sean Miller capitalised on a mistake by Mintcakes keeper Will Kitchen.

Colne started the game well and built a series of attacks that promised an early goal.

Matty Morgan saw his shot drift wide of the far post after Ollie Crankshaw had created the chance with a penetrating run on the left wing.

After 11 minutes, Morgan became the provider as his low cross was met by Curran at the near post to give Colne the lead.

As Kendal looked to hit back, the Colne defence did well to block a shot by Paul Dawson in their penalty area and to cut out a dangerous run by Connor Gaul as he closed in on the Reds goal.

At the other end, Lee Gaskell saw his shot fly just wide after Morgan had again provided the chance and the Reds almost doubled their lead after 25 minutes when a low cross from Gaskell evaded Crankshaw in front of goal and was knocked just wide by Curran who came in at the far post.

Kendal began to threaten as the interval approached and Colne keeper Hakan Burton did well to claim the ball at the feet of Seear as he burst into his penalty area, and he kept out a hard driven angled shot by Gaul, saving with his feet at his near post.

As the second half began, Kendal pushed forward looking for an equaliser with Gaul and Seear prominent in the attack. After 56 minutes, Anthony Lynch forced a corner for the visitors and the resulting cross was headed home from close range by Seear to level the scores at 1-1.

Colne looked to restore their lead with a series of attacks but found the Kendal defence in uncompromising mood and only created half chances. Kendal came close to a second goal after 73 minutes when Gaul laid on a great chance for Matthew Clarke but he lifted his shot just over the Colne crossbar.

Five minutes later, Miller looked to have a great chance at the other end but Kendal keeper Kitchen blocked his shot in a one-on-one in the penalty area. And in Colne’s next attack, Kitchen made another save on his line to keep out a shot from Crankshaw.

But just as Kendal looked on course for taking a point, the keeper miskicked a clearance and Miller took full advantage by taking the ball past him and placing it into the empty net for the Reds winner after 84 minutes.