NETHERFIELD Cricket Club celebrated a dominant victory at the weekend as they maintained their chase for the league’s top spot.

Marc Hadwin’s first innings return of 7-73, as well as Jack Boyles undefeated knock of 111 off 124 balls guided Netherfield to an emphatic eight wickets victory over Garstang at Parkside Road.

Netherfield, who are now second in the table and just 13 points off league leaders Blackpool, were dominant throughout – with club captain Ben Barrow contributing a more than useful knock of 91 off 113 balls.

Garstang, who won the toss and elected to bat, had initially made an imposing start on a batting wicket, after Michael Walling and Fayaz Ughrader posted a first wicket stand of 81.

Netherfield struggled to make any inroads into the opening attack, on a flat deck where the bowlers struggled to gain any momentum with the ball.

However Netherfield finally made the breakthrough in the 24th over when Marc Hadwin, who was just brought into the attack, trapped Ughrader LBW before claiming the wicket of Michael Wellings, who departed for 6.

Hadwin, in relentless form with the ball, continued to take wickets after Michael Walling departed for 57 before overseas Amateur Cooen Oosthuysen was bowled for 1.

Matt Crowther dug in for 14 as Garstang edged onto 137 however Hadwin claimed his fifth wicket when Crowther was caught behind by Lewis Edge.

Garstang battled back when Mark Walling and Ian Walling posted a sixth wicket stand of 63.

However the partnership which saw the visitors move onto 200 was dismantled when Walling was stumped by Edge off Hadwin’s delivery, before Harrison Cox caught and bowled Ian Walling for 37.

From that point Harrison Cox bowled Naqib Rahman for 0 before Hadwin bowled Mark Winstanley. Hadwin closed on figures of 7-73.

Garstang closed on 227-9 off 50 overs.

Netherfield made a bad start in their reply when Josh Dixon was caught behind by Matthew Crowther off the bowling of Ian Walling.

However, Netherfield recovered following a dominant second wicket stand of 192 between Ben Barrow and Jack Boyle.

The partnership that saw Netherfield take complete control, looked under very little danger while Barrow and Boyle were both close to scoring a century which was last achieved in 2008 by Chris Parry and Callum Ferguson.

Garstang broke the partnership when Barrow departed for 91-137 after the club captain’s drive to the boundary was caught by Danny Gilbert.

Once Barrow had departed, Jack Boyle scored his first century for the club in the 46th over, before the New Zealand professional and John Huck eased Netherfield to victory. The hosts closed on 228-2 off 46.3 overs.

Netherfield travel to play league leaders Blackpool on Saturday in a crunch game at the top of the table.

The following game will see Netherfield CC playing host to Denton St Lawrence on Sunday in the Lancashire Cup.