KENDAL Town earned a replay after drawing 1-1 with Selby Town in The FA Cup Preliminary Round.

Ben Thomas’s wonder strike after 67 minutes saw Kendal Town cancel out Carl Stewart’s opener for the visitors, who ply their trade in Northern Counties East League Division One.

Both teams made a tentative start to the game. Selby's Carl Stewart and Ryan Gothard saw their headers comfortably saved by Stuart Dixon in the Kendal goal.

Kendal began to exert their authority on the game, before Shaun Gardner, Charlie Bowman and Brad Carroll were all denied by Selby shot stopper Peter Lawrie. Bowman had the best opportunity after the talisman's flick on was pushed away by the visiting keeper.

Selby opened the scoring after 16 minutes when Carl Stewart found space at the edge of the box before placing the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

After conceding the goal, Kendal dominated possession without being at their fluent best, while Selby’s defence continuously stifled Kendal’s attack.

Kendal continued to struggle before the game became feisty after both Brad Carrol and Selby’s Jordan Snodin were booked for an altercation.

However Kendal had two glorious opportunities on the stroke of half time when Matthew Clarkes goal bound strike was scrambled away by Lawrie before Bowman saw his effort cleared off the line by Reuben Pearse.

Kendal missed another good chance at the start of the second half after Aaron Fleming headed the ball over at the far post from a good cross by Matthew Clarke.

From that point Kendal dominated, drilling in a lot of crosses that were scrambled away by the Selby defence.

Kendal created lot of opportunities most notably through Fleming who saw his goal bound header parried away for a corner.

Selby nearly made it 2-0 when Liam Flanagan headed the ball over from a good cross by Joe Dale.

However Kendal equalised after 67 minutes when Ben Thomas found time and space before drilling the ball into the net from distance.

Kendal should have gone 2-1 up 10 minutes later however Matthew Clarkes shot across was parried away by Lawrie in the Selby goal.

The hosts were also denied after Fleming's header crashed off the cross bar, however Selby nearly won the game in injury time when Flanagan blazed over from close range,

Kendal will now travel to play Selby in the FA Cup replay on Tuesday 4 September.