Kendal Mens 1s 8 South Lakes 1

Kendal welcomed South Lakes Men to The Queen Katherine School, their new home pitch which is quickly becoming the fortress The Greens hoped it would be.

Kendal fielded a strong squad as they were looking to bag all six points for the season against their local rivals.

It didn’t take long before captain Aaron Screen opened the scoring with a well-placed drag-flick from a penalty corner.

A second penalty corner led to a second goal, this time Chris Woodman slammed the ball home after a well rehearsed routine.

Kendal continued to apply relentless pressure on the visiting side and more goals followed. Tom Taggart ghosted through the South Lakes defence to deflect the ball for Kendal’s third and just before half time Noah Ross lifted the ball over the advancing keeper with a reverse-stick strike for a classy fourth.

South Lakes came out for the second half determined to give a better account of themselves.

The visitors earned a penalty corner and despite Rob Cartwright getting his foot to the ball the strike was good enough to find the net.

After conceding Kendal reasserted their dominance.

The midfield, including Mark Addison, Nick Davis and Andrew Melville, was working hard to disrupt any attempt by South Lakes to build play.

The few times they did break through the middle The Green’s defence of Matt Marston, Simon Millington, Chris Woodman and Tom Cash was emphatically imperious in shutting them down.

Taggart took an opportunity to score his second before another strong move ended with Ross bagging his second with a trademark back-post dive.

The Green’s seventh was a wonderful team goal that started from the back. Every Kendal player touched the ball in a display of total hockey that ended with Melville handing the silver platter to Screen for a side-net flick.

Tom Taggart capped off his man of the match performance as he scored again to complete a hat-trick.

Kendal travel to Golborne next weekend to battle for second place in the league.

South Lakes 2s 4 Kendal 2s 0

Kendal 2s went to Ulverston to take on South Lakes with just 11 players - and within 10 minutes had lost Jacob Ross to injury.

Things went from bad to worse as South Lakes took the lead before Sam Weeks was forced out of the game with injury.

South Lakes started the second half on the front foot and they soon began to control long spells of the game.

Three more quick goals followed as South Lakes used the extra players well, swamping the Kendal defence.

Things were about to get considerably more difficult for the Greens as Steve Barclay was issued a green card by the umpire who rapidly upgraded it to a yellow following his reaction.

Minutes later Kendal were down to seven players after Tyson Barclay removed himself from the pitch before a likely sending off as he disagreed with several umpiring decisions.

The remaining seven players showed admirable commitment and South Lakes couldn't add to their tally.