Kendal Town 1 v Droylsden 4

KENDAL Town closed their home league campaign with a disappointing 4-1 defeat to Droylsden at The ST & B Accountants Stadium.

However, despite the defeat, Kendal are safe from relegation after Skelmersdale United lost 3-0 to Atherton Colleries on Easter Saturday before crashing to a resounding 5-0 defeat to Prescot Cables on Easter Monday

Droylsden opened the scoring on 16 minutes after Liam Caddick finished from close range. However, both sides were reduced to ten men soon after following an altercation between Cory Vickers and Ryan Hopper, which saw both players shown the red card.

The visitors went 2-0 up through Stavros Tserpes on 38 minutes before Tom Stead pulled a goal back for Kendal after 43 minutes.

However, Droylsden dominated the second half and goals by Michael Brewster and former Kendal Town striker Sefton Gonzalez compounded the misery for the Mintcakes, who remain second from bottom in the table.

Droylsden made a positive start after Liam Caddick chipped the ball over the bar on 11 minutes. Kendal played with confidence for the first 30 minutes and Ryan Moore's volley crashed off the cross bar.

The visitors opened the scoring on 16 minutes when a corner into the box was headed into the net by Caddick. Ryan Moore nearly equalised for Kendal when the former Bolton Wanderers player saw his chipped effort on goal parried over the bar by Christopher Thompson.

However, the game was marred in controversy after Kendal captain Cory Vickers and Droylsden player Ryan Hopper were both shown a straight red card following a confrontation. Vickers reacted after a Hopper challenge and the referee was left with no other option but to brandish the red card to both.

With both teams down to ten men Droylsden went 2-0 up on 38 minutes after Stavros Tserpes rolled the ball into the net. Thomas Stead gave Kendal a lifeline on 43 minutes after the Preston North End loanee fired the ball into the net from a deep corner.

Droylsden dominated the second half, and secured the win on 65 minutes after the referee pointed to the penalty spot when Matt Thomson felled Gonzales in the box. Matthew Brewster stepped up and placed the ball into the left hand corner of the net as the visitors regained their two-goal advantage

The visitors controlled the remainder of the half before former Kendal Town player Sefton Gonzales fired the ball home from close range with Kendal 4-1 behind.

Droylsden could have scored more goals through Faustin Makela and Gonzales, who were both denied by some superb goalkeeping from Murray O'Rourke.

However the visitors saw the closing stages out while Kendal’s woes continued.

Kendal travel to play Widnes on Saturday in the final game of the season.

On Saturday Kendal lost 5-0 at Newcastle Town. Newcastle were 2-0 up at half time after goals by Chris Smith and Jack Van Der Laan. The hosts continued to dominate Kendal in the second half before Jordan Cole, Sam Bradbury and Matthew Ward all found the net as Kendal crashed to defeat.