IT was a tough battle but Kendal Town opened their BetVictor League points account at last on Bank Holiday Monday with a goalless draw against visitors Widnes.

The Mintcakes' second home game of the weekend was in truth a dour affair with little in the way of goalmouth action.

But Town were unfortunate not to snatch all three points when a free kick from Emile Jaaskelainen, son of former Bolton Wanderers keeper Jussi, cannoned off the underside of the cross bar and was cleared.

On a humid afternoon, there was plenty of effort from both sides but few chances in a drab first half.

Widnes created half chances through Ben Hodgkinson and Conor Ready while Kendal's best moment fell to Christian Sloan who was denied a shot on goal by a last ditch challenge.

The best opportunity of the first half came for the visitors when James Steele headed over from a good position, and Steele then forced two good saves from Joao Mendez at the start of the second half as Widnes continued to press.

However, the introduction halfway through the second half of substitute Jaaskelainen, who arrived on loan from Division One side Blackpool late last week, gave Town real hope.

That free kick rattled the bar and moments later the sub headed wide as the Mintcakes enjoyed their best spell of the game.

But in the later stages it was Widnes who pushed for the winner with George Webster, Ready and Chris Lomax all testing Mendez.

However, Kendal dug deep and held out for the 0-0 draw which landed them their first point of the campaign.

Yet Town could easily have opened their account 48 hours earlier when Clitheroe visited the ST&B Accountants Stadium only for an otherwise positive afternoon to end in an unlucky 2-1 defeat.

Clitheroe made the better start and former Town player Connor Gaul opened the scoring within the first five minutes, calmly stroking home a penalty kick.

But Kendal were level just under a minute later thanks to another spot kick which was awarded for a foul by Jacob Gregory, Lewis Wainwright showing great composure to fire the ball home.

Town’s defensive solidarity continually caused frustration for Clitheroe with Tom Heywood and Seydou Bamba winning all the key battles.

The visitors did create opportunities through Owen Watkinson who fired across goal while Terry Cummings' goalbound shot was blocked.

And they missed their best opportunity when Hyuga Tanner fired wide, yet though the home side created little themselves, they battled well and went in level at the break.

The second half continued in the same vein with Kendal trying to impose themselves and frustrating the visitors while Clitheroe created the better opportunities, most notably through Jordan Darr who headed powerfully over the bar from a corner.

Kendal's only real opportunity of note fell to Wainwright whose shot was comfortably saved by King.

And they were made to regret that miss when with just seven minutes left, Elliot Pond received the ball with his back to goal and turned in the box before placing the ball past Mendez’s grasp.

It was a devastating blow for Town and as Clitheroe comfortably saw out the closing stages, the home side were left frustrated after a game in which their efforts merited at least a point.

Kendal continue their league campaign with a visit to Mossley on Saturday.