AN IMPRESSIVE performance yielded a vital first win of the season for Kendal Town as they lifted themselves off the bottom of the BetVictor League table with a 3-1 victory over Pickering Town.

The Mintcakes played their best football of the season to seal a triumph which will come as a huge relief for the home supporters in a crowd of 108 at a sun baked ST&B Accountants Stadium on Saturday.

Loan man Emil Jaaskelainen, son of former Bolton Wanderers keeper Jussi, continued his hot streak as he opened the scoring in the opening minutes before second half strikes from Nathan Cloudsdale and Patrick Allington gave Town enough breathing space to ensure a late revival by the Yorkshiremen came to nothing.

Jaaskelainen’s sweet strike from just outside the penalty area, which came with just 11 minutes on the clock, was just reward for a bright start by the home side.

However, the goal sparked Pickering into life and they created a series of opportunities with Matt Turnbull lifting the ball over the bar while Danny Earl's chip rebounded off the top of the bar.

And the visitors were left even more frustrated when Morgan Bacon made a stunning save to deny Flynn McNaughton.

But Kendal gave at least as good as they got and should have stretched their lead with Jaaskelainen causing lots of problems for the visiting defence.

Bacon denied Turnbull again at the start of the second half and that save proved crucial as seconds later Nathan Cloudsdale rolled the ball into the bottom left hand corner to double the Kendal lead.

The two goal advantage allowed Town to play freely and with more confidence, and they deservedly added a third when after a slick move down the left, Joseph Dickson slid the ball across the area where Patrick Allington scrambled the ball home from close range.

Pickering to their credit did not throw in the towel and pulled one back on 70 minutes when Turnbull's speculative effort flew into the net.

The same player then headed just wide and shortly afterwards a last ditch clearance denied McNaughton, but Town held on for a sorely needed three points.

Unfortunately, Town could not continue that form on Tuesday as they crashed at the first hurdle in the Integro League Cup when a depleted line up went down 6-1 at league leaders Workington.

Gari Rowntree opened the scoring for the home side after six minutes but Michael Hodgson equalised for Kendal within two minutes.

Both sides then carved out chances but a two goal burst just before the break with Luke Ivison and Nathan Waterston netting gave Workington a 3-1 half time lead.

And the home side dominated the second half with Waterston and Kieran Maguire making it 5-1 before Waterston completed his hat trick in the closing minutes.

Town's reserves have had a brighter start to the season than the first team but they suffered their first defeat last Thursday when they went down 3-1 at home to Riasa Fusion.

In an entertaining clash, the Leeds based US college team went ahead on 16 minutes via a Dylan Turner header, and Christian Wynter doubled the lead from close range after a slick move.

Jay Hayton capped a fine performance when he pulled one back after the break and Jack Brown then saw his effort cleared off the line.

However, Will Kelly sealed the win for the visitors before Burneside man Hayton was denied a late second by a fine save.