Kendal 26

Moortown 27

IT was last gasp agony for Kendal on Saturday as skipper Glen Weightman's late penalty, which would almost certainly have won the game, drifted wide and they fell to defeat by a single point.

With the sides were separated by just seven points in the North One East table, a close game was predicted at Mint Bridge and so it proved.

Jack Lashley and the in form Greg Wrathall were unavailable, the latter's place being taken by Joe Robinson, starting a third spell at the club.

But despite having to tweak the line up which performed so well at Pocklington the previous week, Kendal started well and took the lead after eight minutes.

Good forward play down the clubhouse touchline saw a powerful run from Jack Lashley before Ben Dixon weaved his way through to score, Weightman adding the conversion.

But despite their continued dominance, the home side failed to extend their lead and were punished when Moortown grabbed a try from a rare attack.

Kris Bratton did well defensively to prevent a further try, and Kendal extended their lead after half an hour when after good work by James Gough and Steven Nelson, Chris Evans scored for the third game in a row.

But almost immediately, the gap was closed again with a converted try, then a penalty from outside half Eddie Crossland gave the Yorkshire side a 15-14 half time lead.

Moortown had the better start to the second half and extended their lead with another try, and when key man Danny Barker was forced off through injury, the visitors looked in control.

But Kendal were not finished and a good run down the left by Rory Blakeney-Edwards set up a good position and Robinson touched down.

And the home side then grabbed the lead when Blakeney-Edwards set up Mark Carruthers who went over of a try which was superbly converted by Weightman to make it 26-20 to Kendal.

They then had to sustain a long period of pressure before Crossland eventually broke through for a trey which he converted to put Moortown a point ahead.

There was still time for that penalty which the usually reliable Weightman missed, but time ran out for the home side who were left rueing defensive lapses earlier in the game.

Kendal now have a break and return to action with a trip to Malton & Norton on November 9.