LIFE is returning to the cricket pitch as the league has finally been allowed to get underway.

The Westmorland Cricket League started again last weekend after surviving through months of lockdown.

The virus has meant new measures have been introduced by the league, including hygiene breaks, socially distanced standards for the players and the need to run wider from the cease during matches.

Despite all that has happened, the matches received impressive turnouts and performances.

The format for the game has remained largely the same as it has since the foundation of the league in 1984.

To keep the fixture list as competitive as it needs to be, despite the shortened season, the top two divisions have been reorganised into groups of six, and the two lower divisions are regrouped geographically and most games being played on Sundays.

With former minor counties batsman, Ryan Nelson returning to the field, Carnforth made 206/6 in their 45 overs against Sedgwick. Nelson scored an impressive unbeaten 111 from 127 balls

The game ended with Sedgwick finished with a losing draw of 151/9.

Milnthorpe put on a solid start against Warton with Mike Wills hitting three sixes in a late acceleration as the home side reached 133/7.

Arnside took on Silverdale on their home ground but lost their last six wickets for 36 runs finishing on 117. Silverdale a steady start with 38 from 58 balls.

An effort greatly supported by the new Silverdale captain; Keith Forster reduced the target to 39 with six wickets left.

Silverdale were all out for 95 with 12 balls to spare.

Westgate gained an impressive 31 run victory against Burneside. The team saw Ryan Shepherd rejoining them from Kendal and Lewis Richardson transferring from Netherfield.

Unfortunately, the game was marred by a serious injury to Stephen Cooper.

Westgate made 161/6 with Gary Tattersall and Dylan Conroy as the main contributors.

Six Burneside batsmen made double figures and all were looking good before falling to attacking shots. Burneside were all out for 130.

In the final game in Division one, Shireshead’s batting faltered at Heysham as they were all out for 123. Heysham bowlers exploited the conditions of the day and made it through to an eight-wicket victory.

As the home team, Ingleton won by two wickets from the penultimate ball of the match, but not before Sedbergh put in a hard-fought effort.

In their game, Cartmel came out aggressively against Shireshead but after losing seven wickets they hung on for 142/8 to claim a draw.

In the other Second Division games, Carnforth 2nd beat Kirkby Lonsdale by 10 runs. In Division three South, Silverdale 2nd XI were bowled out for 124 by Bolton le Sands.