The James Cropper Westmorland Football League season finally got underway on what proved to be a dramatic opening weekend of action across all three divisions.

In Division One Keswick made a winning start to the new season after they defeated Kirkby Stephen 2-1.

The reigning and defending Division One champions were made to work for the win before goals by player manager Steve Hindmarch and Andy Frampton guided the visitor’s victory.

Ibis picked up a thrilling 5-4 win at Penrith AFC Reserves, where Tyler James and Tyler Park scored twice before Luke Deveneys last gasp goal sealed the win.

However Penrith showed great character after going 3-0 down, before Ibis battled back to secure the win.

Endmoor KGR won 5-2 at Carleton Banks, while new team Marsh United defeated Kirkoswald 2-1.

In Division Two David Crieries brace and a goal by James Bennett saw Kendal United Reserves win 3-2 at Greystoke.

AFC Carlisle defeated Ibis Reserves 4-2 at The Jubilee Playing Fields in a hard fought game, where Conor Mc Guigan scored twice with Zach Beacom and Jordy Atkinson also on target.

Ibis stayed in the contest with Dan Jones and Joshua Ford on the scoresheet in an otherwise frustrating performance from the home team. Max Hinmans brace and goals by Mark Sullivan, George Hornby and Bradley Thompson guided Staveley United to an emphatic 5-2 win against Appleby Reserves.

Ambleside United defeated Kendal County Reserves 4-2 with Charlie Routledge amongst the goal scorers, while Keswick Reserves and Penrith Academy battled out a 1-1 draw.

And in Division Three Kendal Uniteds A Team secured a deserved point after drawing 3-3 with Braithwaite.

Joe Fleming, Cameron Horner and Declan Thompson scored the goals for Peter Stott’s team.

In the other games Kirkby Stephen Reserves won 4-3 at Eden United.

Langwathby United edged out Ullswater United 5-4, and Wetheriggs Uniteds Reserves won 4-1 at Lunesdale United.

And in one of the other games, Eden Thistle saw off Penrith Royal 5-0.

Words by Richard Edmondson