Ten man Kendal Town edged into the next round of the FA Trophy, where they will face Buxton at home, after defeating Brighouse Town 1-0 in a hard-fought contest at Parkside Road.

Emil Jaaskelainen’s goal 35 minutes into the first half proved to be the difference in a game where goalkeeper Morgan Bacon was needed throughout to make a number of good saves.

With just 20 minutes left in the game, Kendal were put under further pressure after Jamie Hodgson was sent off for a foul on Brighouse’s Eddie Church.

However, despite being down to ten men, Kendal kept a clean sheet after they dug deep with a superb defensive performance,which proved to be enough as they held on to secure victory in the second qualifying round of the competition.

Kendal made a confident start to the the game and created the first opportunity.

The home side’s Hugo Rodriguez headed the ball over the bar from a good delivery into the penalty area by Jamie Hodgson.

Brighouse, who have made a bad start to their season in the Northern Premier League North/West Division, earning just one point out of a possible 18 in their first six league games, then began to create chances of their own.

The away side’s Laurence Sorhaindo saw his powerful shot on goal blocked by Seydou Bamba who put his body on the line for the home team, who continued to show their defensive solidarity throughout the first half.In addition, Kendal were dangerous in attack with Charlie Birch seeing his headed attempt on goal go wide of the post.

Kendal opened the scoring on 35 minutes when Jaaskelainen netted for The Mintcakes.

Jaaskelainen went clean through on goal after capitalising on a mistake before he placed the ball into the right hand corner of the Brighouse net.

The Mintcakes nearly made it 2-0 after Hodgson’s curled shot on goal was palmed away by Jacob Carney in the Brighouse goal.

Brighouse then responded by searching for the equaliser deep into the first half.

However, Kendal’s defence stood firm with Precieux Ngongo blocking a goal-bound shot from Church.

In the second half, Kendal started off attacking the Brighouse goal.

They created the first chance after Seydou Bamba blazed the ball over the Brighouse goal from distance.

In a lively start to the half, Kendal keeper, Morgan Bacon, was needed to deny Church from equalising for the away side, who sit bottom of their league.

Brighouse then pushed for the equaliser.

Javelle Clarke came close to equalising, but his shot curled around the post.

Morgan Bacon was then needed again for the home side as he came out to block Joe Jagger’s shot on goal.

Kendal were then under further pressure on 70 minutes after Hodgson was given his marching orders by the referee for a foul on Brighouse’s Church.

However despite being down to ten men, Kendal nearly made it 2-0 following a speculative overhead kick by Hugo Rodriguez which went over the bar.

Brighouse, with the one man advantage over Kendal, then searched for the equaliser in the game.

Alhassana Kata was denied by Bacon, while Joe Jagger missed a sitter blazing the ball over The Mintcakes’ goal from close range.

For the second time in the game, Jagger missed another glorious opportunity for the away side.

Jagger’s teammate Sorhaindo also threatened the Kendal goal after heading the ball over the goal from a corner.

Kendal, who were under increasing pressure from the away side, saw manager Chris Humphrey come onto the pitch as a substitute to add some stability to the team.

After coming on as a substitute it was the former Motherwell player, Humphrey ,who nearly made it 2-0 for his side when he saw his goal bound effort rebound off the inside of the post.

With their chances of progressing to the next round fading, Brighouse applied late pressure from corners, set pieces and long balls into the area.

However, Brighouse were unsuccessful as Kendal’s defence stood firm, much to the delight of Humphrey, as they celebrated yet another 1-0 win and enter the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy where Northern Premier League side Buxton await The Mintcakes.