Kendal Town returned to winning ways at last after achieving a priceless win in their latest match against Market Drayton.

The Mintcakes were victorious against Drayton Town 2-1 in a huge game at the foot of the table in their bid to avoid relegation, boosting confidence that they can survive.

They battled back after going 1-0 down when Jeremy Abbey scored, responding in emphatic fashion after being awarded a penalty following a contentious handball which saw Chris Wraighte step up to convert from close range.

Kendal, on the front foot, edged in front near to half time from a corner which was headed home by Tom Fagan, before controlling the second half to see out the win which saw them climb off the foot of the table.

A new-look team saw more fresh faces in the starting eleven as both Sam Braithwaite and Stuart Vasey made their debuts, while Gary Basterfield started following his return to the club in Tuesday night’s game against Marine.

Market Drayton, who were one place above Kendal, made the livelier start before going 1-0 up in the ninth minute when Abbey rolled the ball into the net from close range.

And the visitors nearly made it 2-0 soon before Abbey fired over following good work down the right-hand side.

However, once Kendal regained their composure, they began to take control with both Jordan Scott and Jack Milburn forcing good saves out of visiting keeper Ashley Rawlins, while the impressive Milburn terrorised the visitors' defence on countless occasions.

Kendal equalised after 26 minutes when the referee awarded a penalty as Jordan Scott’s shot was deemed to have been handled in the area, before Wraighte stepped up to convert past the keeper.

The home side pressed the visitors back and edged in front after 40 minutes when Fagan side-headed the ball into the net from a right-wing corner.

Milburn nearly made it 3-1 when he saw his effort saved by the legs of Ashley Rawlins before Wraighte fired over the rebound.

Kendal had the majority of the chances throughout the second half, with Ryan Salmon firing wide after being set up by Fagan while Wraighte hit the inside of the post with Matt Marsh blazing over soon after.

Market Drayton applied a lot of pressure without creating too many opportunities, while Kendal’s defence pulled off a number of last-ditch challenges and clearances.

However, as the second half progressed, the game became feisty with a number of yellow cards brandished for both teams, in what proved to be a hugely tense second half.

Market Drayton launched the ball in from a corner deep into stoppage time which was comfortably saved by Oliver Lombard and Abbey saw his tame effort go wide as Kendal celebrated the win.