KENDAL Town’s recent resurgence came unhinged today as they lost 2-1 at home against FC United in front of a bumper crowd of 1010.

Despite a strong second half performance, Town didn’t quite have enough in their locker as they attempted to respond to the two-goal lead FC United had established in the first half.

Jerome Wright opened the scoring for United after only 12 minutes of play. The number ten had found the ball at his feet in the area after Calos Roca’s effort had been blocked. The striker sent a low shot past David Newnes at the keeper’s right hand post.

United’s second which arrived on 28 minutes came with a hint of controversy. A sweeping move forward saw Roca slip a pass in behind the Town defence to Simon Carden. The midfielder looked suspiciously offside and for a half second the game stopped as both sets of players looked to the linesman, however, with no flag raised the number eight poked the ball past the oncoming Newnes to make it two.

Kendal had failed to force United stopper Sam Ashton into making any real saves in the first half, but as they settled into their game for the second period they began to pick ways through the FC back line.

Defender Simon Garner had keeper Ashton to thank for sparing his blushes on 50 minutes. The defender very nearly turned the ball into his own net after Mulvaney had jinxed his way into the box and sent a fizzing ball into the six-yard area that would have ended up in the top corner after Garner’s connection, but for athleticism of Ashton.

The referee lit a fire under the large FC United support when he awarded a penalty against Adam Tong. The number six was judged to have handballed Ian Kilford’s 63rd minute strike and was given a lengthy talking to by the referee to a back drop of cat calls and whistles from the FC fans who were making their feelings on the decision very clear.

Half time substitute Michael Cole stepped up and buried the spot kick into the bottom right and set up a fiery finish.

Knowing a third goal would decide the fixture both teams continued to attack and both came close to scoring. Carlos Roca had an effort hooked off the line by David Standley, while Craig Hobson almost had a clear shot on an unguarded goal as a collision between Taylor and Ashton so nearly presented the striker with the ball, but the bounce was unkind and the chance evaporated.

Kendal attacked into the dying moments but despite their best efforts they could not muster a dramatic equalizer and FC United go home with all three points.