LEAGUE One side Preston North End brought a strong side to Lakeland Stadium for this pre-season friendly.

They took the lead in the tenth minute through Welsh international striker Paul Parry after a defensive error by Kendal's Jez Fitzgerald.

Kendal quickly retaliated with Rory Winters heading narrowly wide of the Preston near-post and Ciaran Donnelly tested former Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll.

Unfortunately in the 20th minute, after prolognged medical attention, Fitzgerald had to leave the field with an ankle injury. He was replaced by Tim Baines.

Preston prompted by their industrious midfielder and captain George Miller, gradually got on top, and their teenage striker Jamie Proctor helped himself to a hat-trick.

But the best goal of the first half came via a superb strike from Miller in the 44th minute, and Preston deserved their 5-0 lead at half-time.

Lee Ashcroft, the Kendal manager, must have given his players an excellent pep-talk during the interval because Kendal produced a superb second half performance with Tom Newton replacing goalkeeper Craig Dootson.

Darren Carter pounced on a defensive mix-up to score Preston's sixth goal before Kendal captain Marc Joseph reduced the arrears.

Danny Mayor scored North End's seventh goal before being substituted by Sam Osobie.

Picky referee Alan Young blew the final whistle without allowing the full quote of added time.

Women's FIFA international referee, who has officiated in the Football League, was one of his assistants.

After the match, Ashcroft said "It was a quality performance from a Preston side with a good balance of youth and former international players.

"Craig Dootson was not at fault with any of the Preston goals which were excellent strikes. I tried to sign Jamie Proctor on loan last season.

"I'm confident of a good season but would ask all our supporters to back us like they have done since I became manager.

"It was a useful pre-season build-up match and I should like to thank Phil Brown, Preston manager, for attending and sending such a strong squad."

Match of the Day pundit Mark Lawrenson presented Sir Tom Finney President's Cup to Preston captain George Miller after the match.

Lawrenson's nephew Jamie Skeoch played for Kendal Town.

Report by John M. Richardson.