Kendal Town Ladies endured a difficult afternoon as they crashed to a heavy 7-1 defeat to an impressive and dominant Carlisle United Ladies Team.

Town have had a difficult season, however the willingness to play football and the effort and determination shown by the team has been the main highlight throughout this campaign.

Kendal yet again had to play players in unfamiliar positions due to the loss of members from last season’s squad while Carlisle had a relatively settled team line up.

Carlisle set about the task and dominated the opening exchanges while Kendal were forced on the back foot.

Kendal Captain Sarah Mc Cabe ran tirelessly as she made many challenges, while going forward the midfielder made a number of good passes which were intercepted by the strong Carlisle defence.

Carlisle opened the scoring on the 21st minute after referee Mark Pentz awarded a penalty, when Tamar Benson felled one of the Carlisle attackers in the box.

Sharina Robinson stepped up and clinically finished the ball past Kendal goalkeeper Faye Armstrong. Kendal battled and tried their best to gain some possession however the visitors created further opportunities through Robinson and Imogen Longcake.

The visitors added a second goal after 32 minutes when a square pass across the penalty box by Gillian McGimpsey fell to the feet of Imogen Longcake who finished from close range.

Kendal yet again played with plenty of spirit with Jess Tait doing her utmost to gain some attacking territory however with Carlisle in such confident form Kendal struggled to retain the ball.

Carlisle made it 3-0 on the 44th minute when a speculative 30 yard strike by Gillian McGimpsey flew into the top corner of the net.

Kendal made a confident and determined start to the second half after Sarah Mc Cabe, and Lauren Downham created half chances with Downham's strike on goal comfortably saved by the visiting goal keeper.

The Mintcakes tried to pass the ball on a heavy pitch while Carlisle had to do more defending, however despite Kendal’s best efforts Carlisle seized control of the half when Imogen Longcake got onto the end of a clinical through ball Georgia Smethurst, before Longcake finished well past the keeper.

Kendal grabbed a consolation on the 71st minutes when a shot rebounded off the Carlisle keeper into the feet of Sarah Mc Cabe who bundled the ball home from close range.

However from that point on Longcake went onto score three more goals as the striker ended with five for the afternoon as Carlisle ended up 7-1 winners.

Kendal have this Sunday off before they host Sir Tom Finney’s on Sunday 26 March before they close the season on Sunday April 3 as they entertain Penrith.