KENDAL men continued their recent good run of results with a 4-2 win at home against West Derby.

The scoring opened after only two minutes when Ewan Galloway scored from the first penalty corner.

The West Derby skipper Jason Wood put his team on level terms with a penalty flick just minutes later and the tone of the match was set.

Both teams needed the three points badly and this was reflected in the high pace of the game.

When Galloway hit the net a second time, West Derby again came straight back to equalise.

As the match progressed, there was a sense that the home side were slightly more composed, even confident, with the benefit of three substitutes including two pacy youngsters, Aaron Screen and Charlie Crooke.

Steve Vaughan had returned to the squad after missing several weeks and he made a huge contribution to the midfield. The experienced Tim Nobes added a little solidity and gravitas to the back line.

Shortly before half time Steve Barclay added his name to the scorecard. A Kendal shot had beaten the keeper but came back off the post.

The ever-lert Barclay was first to pounce on the loose ball and fire it in to the net giving his side the advantage at the interval.

The second half was more end-to-end stuff with some very entertaining hockey.

Kendal created a number of scoring opportunities but could not capitalise. Screen and Cooke seemed to be relishing the challenge of the game and were certainly causing the visitors real problems.

Phil Conlin put the Greens further ahead as he finished off a fine move with a confident strike.

West Derby redoubled their efforts and worked extremely hard for the final 15 minutes.

Chris Woodman, Iain Donaldson, Tim Nobes and Martin Boyd held the back line for Kendal in the closing minutes as West Derby slowly ran out of time.

It had been another fine team performance by the Greens who have now won their last three matches, and will hope to maintain some of that momentum going in to the last four games.

* WINDERMERE 1sts beat Mossley Hill 2-0 at Troutbeck Bridge on Saturday to keep alive their hopes of promotion.

Goals by young Keenan Quill and Steve Heyns and another clean sheet by an ever-resolute defence keeps them in third place in NW Division 6 North behind Didsbury 3rds and Timperley 3rds as the season moves into its final countdown.

Windermere have not been at their sparkling best recently but they will have to be tomorrow (Saturday) for the trip to Timperley in what is the first in a series of crucial head-to-head encounters with the division's leading teams.

* A FRUSTRATINGLY disjointed Windermere 2nds side came from behind to draw 1-1 at Kirkby Lonsdale in their rearranged Sunday Association match. Stuart Morgan scrambled the equaliser in the closing minutes after Adam Simmons struck the opener for Kirkby.