KENDAL made heavy weather of defeating a weak New Brighton side as they scrapped to a bonus point victory.

Playing against the wind, Kendal started well and dominated the early exchanges but several good moves ended with passes being knocked on or the ball lost in the tackle.

The game sparked into life when Bob Mataia broke through the centre and the ball was taken on by Chris Park in support before New Brighton were caught offside.

Glen Weightman knocked the ball over the posts to make it 3-0 to the visitors.

Scores were levelled five minutes later when Kendal were penalised for a lineout offence after winning their own ball.

A long range kick just crept over the posts.

The opening try came after twenty five minutes when Nathan Wooff ran back a New Brighton kick out of defence

When the ball was re-cycled, Tom Voke made an excellent break down the left hand touchline before managing to get a pass away to Dini Noyo in support for an unconverted try giving the Hornets a 3-8 lead.

Five minutes later New Brighton pulled three points back with a long range penalty after Kendal were caught offside to bring them back to within two points.

Just before half time, the referee's patience finally ran out after a string of New Brighton offences.

They tried to slow down the Kendal ball and a prop was issued with a yellow card.

Despite not being at their best and playing into a strong wind, Kendal turned with a narrow lead at half time.

The lead was extended seven minutes into the second half when, with the Kendal pack already on top and their opponents a prop down, they managed to drive New Brighton off their put in at the scrum.

Kendal drove to the line where Garry Holmes, making a first start of the season at No.8, touched down.

Glenn Weightman hit the post with the difficult conversion so the scores remained at 6-13.

Five minutes later Kendal had their third try.

Again the forwards laid siege on the New Brighton line out on the right and when they could not get across they moved the ball left with Nathan Wooff breaking through to score.

Glenn Weightman added the conversion and the hornets took a commanding 6-20 lead.

Kendal had twenty five minutes to find the important fourth bonus try but despite having New Brighton under pressure they could not find the vital score.

Steve Whitehead decided to make changes - James Thompson came on for Matty Houghton and then Alistair Thompson entered for Bob Mataia.

Then Kendal were given a penalty close to the line and, after a tap penalty taken by Billy Coxon, the pack drove forward.

Garry Holmes was on hand again for the touchdown to make it 6-25.

Despite being well below their best, Kendal were never in danger of losing against opponents who appear to struggle at this level, languishing second from bottom in the league.

Kendal did well not to slip up and it was a vital result in their quest to keep the pressure on Kirkby Lonsdale and Birkenhead Park at the top of the table.

With no league game next week, Kendal will have time to re-group and seek to re-discover their cutting edge from the start of the season before another vital away game against Wigton in a fortnight.