Kendal Wasps 32

Carlisle Cougars 26

KENDAL Wasps had a real sting in the tail as they avenged last season's defeat to Carlisle Cougars to win the Women's County Cup on a wonderful day of rugby at Kirkby Lonsdale.

In a re-run of last year's inaugural final - where Carlisle ran out comfortable winners - Kendal were a different proposition second time around to rcord a memorable victory.

Kendal looked determined from the word go, determined to make sure that lightning was not going to strike twice.

In the early exchanges, the Wasps managed to break free through their impressive running full back Sarah Simpson to score a converted try.

The Carlisle team were extremely industrious and their experienced forwards carried hard led by the ever impressive Lucy Meadley and backed up well by her teammates. But the Cougars were unable to capitalise thanks to a water tight Kendal defence and instead it was Kendal who added a further score before Carlisle made their power count with a great converted score under the posts.

The second half proved to be just as exciting from the off with Carlisle making some powerful runs and trusting their strong set piece.

However Kendal were able to stem the majority of power plays and Bryoni Bland put in an outstanding effort in both attack and defence turning over a number of balls and making some telling runs.

Both teams scored some excellent tries with a couple of strong individual efforts from Vanessa Temple whose searing pace would cause the tightest of defences no end of trouble.

And the boot of Kendal fly half, Abby Bland, who was awarded the Player of the Match Award by Cumbria RFU Representative John Rogers kept the Cougars just out of reach.

Carlisle scored another strong try with all 15 players contributing to good field position and eventually breaching the Kendal Wall.

The Wasps held firm for the final few minutes to seal victory.

An extra bonus to the day was that Cumbria were in possession of the Women's Rugby World Cup which was proudly displayed in the Wilman Room at Kirkby. Post game both sets of players had their photos taken with the trophy to complete an excellent day.