KENDAL recorded a comprehensive win over Firwood Waterloo at the weekend, which saw the team's best attacking display of the season.

The home side started well and had the lead after just four minutes. Glenn Weightman spotted the Waterloo left wing out of position, and put a long kick across field, for Mark Carruthers to chase and score 5v0.

Will Montgomery made an early impression, managing to gather a Glenn Weightman drop out kick, before Waterloo were penalised for a dangerous tackle, when he was still off the ground.

After a quarter of an hour, Chris Park extended the lead with a penalty, won by the pack who drove Waterloo off their own ball at a scrum. 8v0

Five minutes later, the lead was extended further. After good work from Danny Barker and Zane Butler, Glenn Weightman somehow managed to wriggle through the Waterloo defence, to the sprint away to score. Chris Park added the conversion. 15v0

Kendal’s scrum was now well on top, and the whole team were putting in their best attacking performance of the season.

As the half came to an end Kendal added a fourth try. Ben Leacock won lineout ball and the forwards drove to the line with Liam Hayton coming up with the score. 20v0.

Waterloo caught Kendal cold at the start of the second half, several good breaks, helped by weak tackling, saw centre Liam Reeve finish the move to go over for a try, which he then converted. 20v7.

It took another fifteen minutes for fears of another Waterloo fight back, as had happened in the away game, to be extinguished. From a lineout on the right, the ball was moved into midfield, where Will Montgomery did well to gather a difficult pass. The move was then taken on by Danny Barker and finished by Zane Butler. Chris Park added the conversion. 27v7

This marked time for Kendal to bring players off the bench, with first James Thompson replacing Ben Leacock, and then Josh Coyle replacing Ross McKay, who had had another good game. Both substitutes were soon into the action, eager to impress with the battle for places in the pack so strong.

With twenty minutes played, it looked as if Will Montgomery may get a debut try. The ball came to him on the right wing and he made a good run. He was stopped in the twenty two, but managed to make the ball available, and when it was moved into the centre, Zane Butler, chipped a kick through the advancing Waterloo defence, and gathered it to go over for his second try. Chris Park again adding the conversion. 34v7.

Matty Houghton came on to replace Leo Mercer on the left wing, and immediately looked like scoring, when he made a break down the left wing, but ran into the last defender.

Ben Leacock returned for Gary Holmes, who had been having his best game since returning from injury.

The next try came from a vintage Kendal lineout drive. Liam Hayton made the initial break, and when he was stopped the forwards drove over the line, with substitute James Thompson emerging with the ball, 39v7.

Dom Musetti was injured and Garry Holmes returned

Despite the score line Waterloo had never given up attacking, and as the game came to the end of normal time Kendal were forced into a long spell in defence, and tackled as if maintaining a slender lead, but after work on the left had not found an opening, the ball was moved wide to the right for Waterloo’s second try. 39v12

Waterloo went looking for extra scores to get a valuable bonus point, but it was Kendal who finished the game with another score. Danny Barker again doing the build up work, for James Thompson to finish the move with his second try. Chris Park added the conversion with the final action of the game. 46v12.

This was a much improved performance from Kendal, and Waterloo did well to keep the score down.

The only headache for the coaching team will be who to leave out for mission improbable to league leaders Huddersfield next weekend.