Kirkby Lonsdale 41

Ilkley 7

A RAMPANT Kirkby Lonsdale warmed the home crowd at bitterly cold Underley Park by running in seven tries in an emphatic win over basement boys Ilkley.

They go into the Christmas break in good cheer after a third win on the trot which hoists them to seventh spot in the North Premier table.

Strong wind, hailstorms and freezing rain lashed the venue prior to kick off, but as they teams ran out, the weather gods relented and the minute's silence to mark the passing of Kirkby legend ‘Dick’ Dinsdale was observed in relative calmness.

When the action on the field began, an early knock on put the home side under pressure but the visitors didn’t profit from it and Kirkby were soon in control.

The first try came from nothing as from around 30 metres out, scrum half Ben Walker picked up the ball from behind a ruck, superbly created a gap and ran through under the posts, Ryan Terry converting.

Within minutes, the lead had been stretched when skipper Dave Barton put the ball into touch near the left corner flag, Kirkby caught their lineout ball and the forwards drove over with hooker Dan Armistead grounding the ball for the second try, Terry converting a difficult kick.

And five minutes later it was 19–0 when all action flanker Josh Sheridan powered over for an unconverted try and the home side were well in control.

But Sheridan then picked up a yellow card and after defensive hesitancy, Ilkley number nine Blake Morgan took a quick tap and ran through to score by the posts.

It remained 19-7 up to the break but early in the second half, the lead was extended when with the dominant Kirkby pack applying extended pressure, scrum half Walker struck like a cobra to touch down.

Andrew Bargh replaced Harry Ralston on the right wing and Sam Tallon came on for Sam Kyle-Clay in the front row as Kirkby rang the changes, and they continued to call the shots as Barton beautifully timed a pass to hand Scott Armstrong a well deserved try, Terry adding the extras to make it 31-7.

The home side stayed firmly in control and their superiority was emphasised by two further tries by winger Bargh which completed a comfortable win.

Man of the match award went to second row James Thompson.