Kendal 18

Driffield 12

A GRITTY performance saw Kendal follow up on last week's win at Scarborough to earn a hard fought win over visitors Driffield at a wet and windy Mint Bridge.

The visitors sat in second place prior to kick off and were expected to provide a tough challenge, but the home side rose to the occasion.

And despite having a lighter pack and facing challenges from the elements which made conditions almost unplayable, they edged to a priceless North One East victory.

Rory Blakeney-Edwards returned to the right wing for Kendal, who began in excellent style and took the lead after just five minutes.

Glen Weightman found touch with a fine kick and after the lineout was won, Matty Houghton ploughed through several attempted tackles to touchdown for the opening score.

Weightman extended the home lead on the quarter of an hour mark with a drop goal, but their flow was interrupted when a mass brawl saw play was stopped and the referee issuing a warning to both sides.

As half time approached Driffield took control, and an otherwise solid Kendal defence was breached from short range in first half injury time to reduce the deficit to 8-5.

But Kendal regrouped and made the better start to the half.

And after a Weightman kick following a penalty put them under pressure, he threw a long pass which reached Nick Carlton who had a clear run to the line for Kendal’s second try.

The home side then rang the changes but they continued to impress, and Driffield's case was not helped by a yellow card for their No.6 Matthew Jenkinson.

Weightman put the penalty kick out to the right wing and after a great spell of pressure, Dan Greenwood got the ball out to Jordan Johnson who crossed to extend the lead to 18-5 with 20 minutes to play.

With conditions worsening, and standing water in parts of the pitch, the Kendal defence stepped up to give Driffield little space, with Danny Barker, Mark Carruthers and Houghton putting a number of crunching tackles in to stop Driffield getting any momentum.

Kendal did have chances for a fourth try, but more importantly the clock continued to tick down with Driffield kept a long way from the Kendal line.

As the game enter the last 10 minutes, Driffield did get into the Kendal twenty two, but even then their much more solidly built pack could find no way through the Kendal defence.

The home line was finally breached three minutes into injury time, but as the conversion went over, the final whistle sounded.

It was a fine and well deserved win which puts Kendal in great heart for Saturday's trip to struggling Percy Park.