Windermere recorded just their fourth win of the season in Cumbria Division One as they defeated a depleted Furness 29-17 at Dawes Meadow.

The Ambers had lost their last eight games, but they were faced by a Furness side without several players due to James Howden’s stag do.

The Blues have relied on the help of local amateur rugby league sides Barrow Island, Askam, Ulverston and Roose Pioneers to bolster their numbers in recent weeks and although it was a makeshift line-up, they were able to take 17 players across south Cumbria.

Nonetheless, they claimed the games first points through a penalty from Adam Nicholson, who kicked well despite the windy conditions, which ultimately led to an error-strewn performance from the visitors.

Windermere hit back, however, through their captain Jonny Benson before centre Damien Armstrong went over to extend the home side’s lead.

Furness then reduced the gap to 12-10 through a converted try by Rhys Humphreys, but Mere increased their advantage back up to nine points through full back Liam Garnett’s score.

Bobby Davis secured the bonus point for the hosts with their only try of the second half, while fly-half Bertie Hodgson added three conversions and a penalty with the boot. Despite making some basic handling errors, Furness had their second try of the match through Jaime Knight, which Nicholson converted to take his personal tally to seven points.

Furness had known for a while they would be left in a weakened state for the trip and had attempted to get the game moved forward by a week, only for Windermere to turn down their request due to sponsorship reasons.

The Blues will look to bounce back when they host Upper Eden at the Strawberry Grounds on Saturday, while Windermere have a local derby against fellow strugglers Millom to look forward to.

Hawcoat Park will return to action against Cockermouth after being unable to fulfil their fixture at Whitehaven, again due to Howden’s stag do. Hawcoat Park A had to endure awful conditions in their match against Littleborough 3rd XV and they succumbed to a 5-0 defeat.