THREE fire engines were called to ‘a chemical incident’ at Westmorland General Hospital today (May 13) after a drugs fridge in the day centre started leaking.

Two engines from Kendal and one from Barrow attended the report of ‘a strong smell of ammonia’ at around 9.40am.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and gas tight suits investigated and found that the engineering behind a drugs fridge was faulty.

The drugs were not contaminated, and Watch Manager Phil Stannet said crews used natural ventilation to clear the smell and removed the fridge to a safe location.