EMERGENCY services were called to reports of a house fire at New Village, Ingleton, on Sunday night.

Firecrews from Bentham and from Settle attended at around 8.30pm and extinguished a fire in a first floor bedroom.

Crews used six breathing apparatus, two hose reels, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal imaging camera.

Ambulance and police were also in attendance.

A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: "Officers were called to an address at New Village, Ingleton, at 8.51pm on Sunday to assist firefighters with the safe removal of a 44-year-old man following a fire caused by a discarded cigarette. He was checked over by paramedics but he did not go to hospital."