A DRIVER 'lost control' of his Transit van on a bend on the A65 between Ingleton and Settle, crashing into a drystone wall, a court heard.

Ryan Glynn then left his vehicle partially on the road and walked home before being taken to hospital by his father, where he was kept in overnight, and treated for concussion, Skipton Magistrates' Court heard.

Glynn, 27, of Townhead Croft, Settle, admitted driving without due care and attention, failing to stop after an accident, and failing to report it. He also admitted leaving the van in a dangerous position, which could have been a danger to other road users, and to using a van with two front tyres that had 'well below' the required amount of tread.

The court heard police received a call at just after 1am on July 15 and found the van on the A65 at Newby.

Its air bags had gone off, the keys were still in the ignition, but the driver was nowhere to be seen.

The court heard that the road had at the time recently been re-surfaced and that Glynn had left the vehicle in an 'extremely dangerous' place, putting other road users at risk.

He was not located by police until the next day, and was not interviewed by officers until a month later when he admitted being the driver of the vehicle at the time, that he had not been drinking, and that he believed he had been driving too quickly.

He told officers he had not reported the accident, because of his injuries, and could not remember how he had got home.

In mitigation, John Mewies, said there was no evidence to suggest Glynn had been drinking. He had been at his girlfriend's house earlier in the evening, and was returning to Settle where he lived.

Mr Mewies said Glynn conceded that the tyres of his van were unfit, and that he had lost control on a bend, where there had been loose chippings on the road surface.

He said hitting the wall had been a 'significant impact' and Glynn had little or no recollection of what happened next.

Glynn, a self-employed plasterer, would effectively lose his business if he was unable to drive, said Mr Mewies.

Magistrates handed Glynn a 12 month community order, with 200 hours unpaid work. They also banned him from driving for eight months. He will also have to pay costs of £85 and a surcharge of £85.