A HOUSE was struck by lightning in Cumbria last night as Storm Gareth raged across the country.

It hit a chimney in Cotehill near Carlisle and caused damaged to two homes.

Crews from Carlisle East and Carlisle West fire stations were called out at about 2.30am.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: "It was a joint chimney between two houses which was struck. It smashed the chimney to pieces and put some bits through the roof.

"It travelled down the cables and blew some sockets and telephone points in both properties and blew one of the properties gas fires out on to the hearth. The gentleman was sleeping on the sofa at the time."


He added that part of the chimney had come through the ceiling in a child's bedroom but thankfully no one was injured in either home.

Firefighters made the scene safe, ensuring the electric and gas was knocked off, and cordoned off the properties.