A MAN from Grasmere died from an “industrial disease” after being exposed to asbestos many years ago, an inquest heard.

John Christopher Swift, 76, died on May 31 of this year.

The inquest at Kendal County Hall heard how he had first experienced breathing difficulties while on holiday in Orkney in June 2018.

From January 2019, he began being seen by a palliative team.

By May, his condition had deteriorated and he was admitted to St Mary’s Hospice, Ulverston, but he chose to return home where he received outside support.

Concluding, assistant coroner Margaret Taylor said: “I have seen evidence that about 30 years ago (John) was working in a hotel where he was exposed to asbestos because there was a considerable amount of renovation work.”

She added that, "as a consequence of the exposure”, Mr Swift developed Mesothelioma, which is a type of cancer linked with asbestos exposure.

In a letter read out in court, Dr Jacqueline Hawkins, Mr Swift’s GP, said Mr Swift had had “a difficult time” and that he “obviously wanted to be at home towards the end.”