KENDAL RUFC unfortunately lost out against Firwood Waterloo by just two points in a closely fought game on Saturday.

After a win at Penrith in their previous game, Kendal was defeated by 17-15 against Waterloo.

Waterloo had won two of their three opening games, including a narrow win last weekend away at Altrincham Kersal.

Despite an early lead courtesy of Chris Park’s penalty, Waterloo fought back and put Kendal under pressure throughout.

After twenty minutes Kendal extended their lead with a try from Dan Shorrock.

Waterloo’s defence fended off Kris Bratton, Ben Dixon, and Danny Barker, allowing them to make no ground, and whilst Dane Blenkharn, Liam Hayton and Glenn Chesher found gaps in the defence, only to be quickly stopped.

An altercation resulted in both sides dropping to fourteen players after Liam Hayton and the Waterloo scrum half and captain Luke Clifford were yellow carded.

Waterloo was awarded a penalty over the incident.

Half and an hour in Kendal further proved their dominance by reaching a score of fifteen to nothing.

Wary of Kendal’s earlier forward drive, Waterloo had stopped competing when Kendal won the lineout ball, to prevent a drive being set up, but Greg Wrathall caught them, finding a gap, and going over unopposed from short range.

Chris Park further show cased his talented by kicking over a difficult conversion.

This would be the last point the Cumbrian side claimed.

Five minutes in the second half Waterloo scored their first try and convention.

After nine minutes Kendal made a second change with Greg Wrathall

Waterloo added a second try shortly afterwards after another penalty was issued to them.

Davies scored and Jago Ford added with the conversion, to reduced Kendal’s led to 14 points to 15.

When Kendal was given a penalty in mid-field Chris Park was given a chance to extend the lead but after putting over a much more difficult kick in the first half, this one failed to find its target.

Just after the half hour Kendal were punished for their missed opportunities, when Waterloo was awarded a penalty, and wing Jago Ford made no mistake to give his team the lead for the first time.

The final score was 17 against 15.