KENDAL Rugby was hit by a difficult defeat in their latest match against Manchester.

The always tough opponents claimed a 55-5 win over the Cumbrian side, who were one place behind Kendal.

Manchester were eight points behind in third place when they faced Kendal.

Manchester started out aggressive and took the lead with an early try seven minutes in.

The pressure continued, but Kendal was able to claim some possession but their waves of attack were repelled.

Twenty minutes later a second try came with a conversion to make it 14-0.

The Kendal cause was not helped when after twenty-three minutes James Gough was yellow carded for a dangerous tackle.

Mark Carruthers moved to outside half, and as the wind was in Kendal’s favour they found more success with their kicks, pushing Manchester back.

Soon after Kendal scored their first try.

A penalty was put to touch by Mark Carruthers and after the lineout was won and the pack drove for the line, Steven Nelson broke away to power to the line. It was 14-5.

Unfortunately, after a few more waves of attack, Manchester scored twice more before the second half.

During the final moments of action in the half, Manchester broke through once again and added a try and a converted kick for a 26v5 half-time score.

Hugh Davies had been struggling, and was replaced at half time by Alex Ryder, with Liam Hayton moving to the front row.

The second half opened with a try four minutes in from Manchester to make it 33 to 5.

The next score came after a quarter of an hour.

It appeared the Kendal defence had contained an attack, but the ball was chipped into the corner and followed for the touchdown to make it 38 for Manchester.

After more back and forth action, with Manchester getting the better of the exchanges.

After a bad bounce Manchester were given another chance to score. As Dan Shorrock chased the ball kicked by Chris Park the ball landed badly and went back toward the Kendal line.

Manchester made it 43-5.

With ten minutes to play a good run from outside the twenty-two set up the next Manchester try.

Greg Wrathall was forced off with Jordan Johnson returning and Steven Nelson re-joining the pack.

The final score of the game came on full time when a weaving run by the Manchester No.8 saw him go over near the touchline, and after struggling with the more difficult conversions, this time the Manchester fullback made no mistake added the conversion for a final score of 55v5.