KIRKBY Lonsdale took a trip to East Lancashire upon their return match against Sandal following their loss to Underley Park earlier in the season.

Kirkby kicked off up the slope with Sandals determined forwards hungry to gather the ball but Kirkby retained possession and moved it out to the backs, who were penalised for holding in the ensuing ruck.

The penalty took Sandal to with the Kirkby 22 and having won the line out, their forwards rumbled towards the try line before releasing the ball to their backs who broke through the visitor’s line to score after five minutes.

The conversion shaved past the posts. From the restart, Sandal headed down field and drew a penalty for off side.

The line out was retained and their pack were sure to gain the second try but Kirkby's defence held and they came out with the ball and kicked to clear their line.

The home team backs lined up for the attack and with two stones per man advantage over the visitors, broke through the defence to run in their second converted try. The score moved to 12-0 after the first quarter.

With their tails up and encouraged by the home spectators, their third converted try came 5 minutes later.

The board read 19-0. There was little between the teams over the next period of play when the Sandal wing dodged through tackles and ran in the fourth try by the corner flag. Converted it was now 26-0.

Kirkby played some encouraging rugby when Huddleston received the ball from Park Johnson following a ruck and his speed could not be matched by Sandal and Kirkby had their first try of the afternoon.

Silverwood converted and the half time score was 26-7.

Sandal restarted the second half, Kirkby gathered and passed the ball down the line with the last pass being slapped down by Sandal, but no yellow card awarded.

A quick penalty by Park Johnson who was tackled within 10 yards saw a further penalty.

The line out was stolen by the home team and a period of good movement by both teams ensued. From a Kirkby attack and ruck, Park Johnson picked and ran through the home defence to score after 10 minutes of the half. Unconverted, 26-12. From restart, Kirkby knocked on giving the home team possession.

Their wing received the ball and with his jinxing found a way through the visitors backs to score under the posts. 31-12 after the first 15 mins of the half.

Kirkby came back and following a period of attack Storey went over but was deemed to have been held up.

The visitors continued to exert pressure with the backs moving the ball out to Huddleston who broke through the defence for his second try. The referee pulled play back for a debatable forward pass.

Sandal backs headed up field and were finding holes in Kirkby's defence when they scored their sixth try and the board moved to 36-12.

From the restart they scored a further similar try under the posts. 43-12 with 5 minutes remaining.

The never say die attitude of the Kirkby lads continued play with good movement and Huddleston scored again, converted by Silverwood brought the final score to 43-19.

Despite the final score line, the Kirkby lads continue to show commitment and pride in wearing their Club colours, punching above their weight against more mature sides.