Ulverston Methodists began their 250th anniversary celebration in May 1988 with a procession of witness through the streets of the town to the market cross.

There they held a short service of celebration conducted by the Rev George Beck, from Grange, superintendent minister for the Ulverston circuit.

About 90 members of the Ulverston church, led by the Boy Brigade band, marched from the Neville Street schoolroom along Chapel Street and The Ellers before turning into Market Street, which was bustling with shoppers and tourists.

Junior members of the church walking in the procession were dressed in costume of John Wesley’s time.

Among the banners carried through the town was one recently made for the Wesley celebration by more than 40 members of the church entitled Fruits of the Earth.

At the market cross, marchers were joined by townsfolk and tourists as they sang hymns.

The Rev Beck then gave a short address telling of the conversation of John Wesley and his brother Charles, which led ultimately to the founding of Methodism on May 24, 1738.

The celebration in Ulverston continued the next day with junior church members putting on a special pageant during the morning service at the Neville Street church.

And a festival of praise entitled How Great Aflame was held at 6.15pm, attended by Methodists all from all over the circuit, from as far afield as Grange and Swarthmoor.

The church was packed and the choirs drawn from the various churches led the congregation in singing accompanied by organist George Walker.

The Rev Beck was assisted by three readers, the Rector of Ulverston, the Rev John Holden, Stanley Harrison of Grange and Gill Mitchell from Sparkbridge Church.

The final prayer and blessing were given by the Rev Bruce Blantern, minister of Ulverston Methodist Church.

Over the weekend, an exhibition of Wesleyana was held in the Neville Street schoolroom, including photographs, books and artefacts relating to Methodist church history.