Burnage clashed with Kirkby players on their newly laid artificial pitch.

Only a point separated the teams in the Regional 1 North West League.

Burnage kicked off towards the Clubhouse and Kirkby gathered and moved up field with some good handling until a knock on gave the home team a scrum on their own twenty-two.

Their number ten kicked to clear and Higgs at full back could not hold on and Burnage had a scrum 30 yards out.

The home team attacked using their big back line but some strong defence kept them at bay until they went over for the first try of the match.

Converted it was 7-0 after 10 minutes. From the restart a Burnage knock on gave Kirkby a chance to capitalise with the backs moving the ball until it was knocked on for a home scrum. Infringement drew a penalty to the visitors and Ree at number 10 placed it within 10 yards of the try line.

The following line out was not straight and Burnage cleared their lines via the backs before a kick forward.

There resulted a period of play in mid field with both teams trying to gain momentum which was won by Burnage due to an off-side decision.

The home side took advantage and their backs did the damage by scoring their second converted try after 20 minutes. Kirkby lost Edmondson due to injury and on came J Robinson. From restart the home side came back but strong tackling by Kirkby won the ball and attacked but a high tackle on Tallon saw him having to be replaced.

The penalty gave the visitors a line out within sight of the line but the ball was lost and the home side cleared. Mistakes by Kirkby gave ball away and from a line out the Burnage heavy pack rumbled over for try number three.

Converted 21-0 with 10 minutes to half time.

Burnage gathered from restart and kicked ahead swiftly followed by their backs. Whilst Kirkby gathered, they tried to run the ball out but failed with the oncoming opponents gaining possession and went over for their bonus point try to make it 28-0.

The Kirkby spirit was not dented and attacked the home team line after a period of penalties and were again five yards out but the line eluded them allowing Burnage to clear.

The visiting backs gathered and attacked with Park-Johnson breaking through the line and kicked forward.

Beaten to the ball, the home side cleared and a handling error gave advantage to the home side with their fifth try coming on the stroke of half time. The score 38-0. Not a true reflection of the play but errors were Kirkby's downfall.
Kirkby started the second half following a pep talk by Scott and Danny at the break. Tallon was back on the field and knock on by Burnage gave Kirkby the scrum.

Backs were penalised for holding on in ruck but the following scrum won back the ball and the visitors looked like opening the score in this half.

The home team defence did not give way but an infringement by the number 12, Watkins, saw a red card by the ref and off he went.

Kirkby determination saw a good move by the back line and Charlie Oats go over for try, converted by Ree to put them on the board after 5 minutes of the half making it 33-7.

Kirkby were back in the game and Brown was replaced by new boy Basi. Good period by the visitors should have been rewarded by a score but the home defence held and against the run of play the home forwards scored to make it 38-7.

A scrappy ten minutes with penalties given by both sides.

Following a Burnage scrum two Kirkby boys were left on the deck. It is understood their heads clashed but Sam Tallon came off worst and had to be stretchered off and headed to hospital due to concussion.

There followed a yellow card for Burnage and the referee issued a yellow card for both sides following an altercation which involved several players but they were scapegoats as he was unaware of who the culprits were.

The referee seemed to lose control of the game and blew the final whistle 5 minutes early. Not a satisfactory end a well contested game.

Kirkby errors were the downfall of another strong and promising performance by these young players who again play against bigger and stronger opposition.

Keep your heads-up Kirkby and it will come through. Break next week and local derby against Kendal on the 15th.