Upper Eden 29 - 22 Kendal

KENDAL Rugby club were dumped out of the Cumbria Cup by Upper Eden, who ply their trade three leagues below the Black and Ambers.

Despite having the important local derby game against Kirkby Lonsdale next weekend, Kendal took the game seriously naming almost the same team who played at Wirral last weekend.

From the beginning Kendal used the wind to their advantage in the first half and clashed with Eden throughout the first twenty minutes until they scored when Steven Nelson claiming the try.

Glen Weightman added the conversion to put them seven points ahead.

This was followed by a second try when Reece Tomlinson got over the line, plus another kick by Weightman.

The first Upper Eden try came with five minutes of the half to play.

Glen Weightman put a kick through for the backs to chase, but the referee spotted several were in front of Weightman when he put the kick in and awarded Upper Eden a penalty.

Upper Eden used good movement to make it five points to fourteen after they bulldozed over the line.

Kendal scores once more before the end of the half when Alex Ryder capitalised on a Eden mistake to make it 5-17 as Weightman made the penalty.

The second half saw a counter attack by Eden as they built themselves back up to make it 12-17.

After a penalty it was 15-17.

Kendal was hit by a bad knock when Weightman was injured and was replaced by Barney Coxon.

He went into the second row, with Alex Ryder moving into the back row and Steven Nelson finding himself in the centre, with Alistair, and play restarted with a Kendal scrum.

Kendal extended the lead after twenty-five minutes after Ryder won lineout ball and Tadhg Butler pushed a head.

 For long periods of the half Nick Carlton, had been calling for the ball, with his opposite number defending well off his wing. Finally, they got through and made it 15-22.

An equaliser came from Eden when they travelled down the left wing and broke through the Kendal line.

With minutes to spare, Eden broke out from the scum and kicked the ball into the right corner.

An Upper Eden player won the chase for the try.

The conversion was all that was needed to put them ahead on 29-22.