KENDAL Rugby club played at Underley Park in the local derby to face Kirkby Lonsdale.

The game started the game in front of 300 supporters.

Kendal attacked first up field but Kirkby held and moved the ball along the backs until a knock on gave scrum to the visitors. The ball was secured and Kirkby were on the defensive but the heavy forwards of Kendal drove forward and the first score of the game went to them. 0-5 after 7 minutes.

An early blow to the home team but they followed the restart with determination and drew a penalty on the 22.

Ree slotted the 3 points and Kirkby were back in the game. Kirkby came back from the kick off and were soon on the attack having stolen the ball. The forwards had a good attacking move and Oats fed the ball out to Baines who went over for Kirkby's first try after 20 minutes.

Converted by Ree the scoreboard moved to 10-5. 5 minutes later Kendal was deemed off side a Ree stepped up to make the score 13-5. A period of attacking play by both sides saw Kendal backs gather the ball and broke through the home defence to score by the posts. Converted there was only a point between the sides.  Kirkby followed this with good handling along the back line and having kept the ball alive Bradshaw went over for Kirkby's second try which Ree converted to show the home side 8 points ahead, 18-12.

5 minutes to half time, Kirkby gathered and Ree kicked up field but the wind caught it and helped it over the dead ball line.

Scrum back for Kendal put them on the attack well within Kirkby's half and a solid move saw their third try come on the stroke of half time, the score 18-17.
The second half started by Kirkby saw them in an attacking mood and pinned Kendal in their own half before a break through by the home forwards led by captain Briggs saw Weeks touch down for the third try with 5 minutes gone. 23-17.

A period of good rugby by both sides in defence and attack with the ball being retrieved and stolen until an attack by the visitor’s pack saw them score the fourth and bonus point try after 15 minutes with one point between the teams. The referee awarded a penalty restart against Kendal and Kirkby moved on the attack.

However, mistakes by the home side gifted Kendal the ball and their centre broke a tackle and a neat tap over the home side defence saw a chase for the ball that winger Cousins won and score in the corner.

Kendal retook the lead 23-29. Play resumed with the home side looking for the fourth try but the referee penalised for holding on in a ruck only 15 yards from the line. The scrum won and Kendal cleared up field.

Kirkby gathered and a knock on by the backs gave the visitors an attacking position which was gratefully accepted as their forwards headed to the try line for a further try to see the score board move to 23-36.

Soon after the restart the home side gave away a penalty 10 yards in their own half and Kendal's Lowther slotted the ball between the posts for 3 points. Kendal attacked again down the line but a strong tackle by Higgs put the winger into touch. A disagreement ensued with all players and handbags came out on the touch line before the referee showed a yellow card to Kendal's number 8, Greenwood.

A period of scrappy play followed the sending off but Kirkby could not capitalise and a break by the Kendal backs saw a kick forward and winger Cousins went over for a further try which converted brought the final score to 23-46.

On reflection, Kirkby again did not deserve to see a score line as shown with a few mistakes allowing the visitors to capitalise and the home side coming away without a point. Kirkby again played solid rugby and each week sees improvement but the mistakes have to be overcome.

Next week away Kendal will face Wirral who are riding high in the league.