INTENSE match up in the latest fixture in the Senior Colts League Cup.

Kendal dominated the opening 20 minutes of their game against Wirral Senior Colts.

The pressure resulted in a couple of kickable penalties which Kendal turned down. Wirral’s defence held firm but with Wirral intent on playing territory kicked back to Kendal. Kendal came to play and with the ball in hand went through their phases well keeping Wirral pinned in their own 22.

Against the run of play, Wirral forwards turned the ball over and a relieving kick down the middle of the pitch saw a couple of bounces with Wirral hacking it on twice. Wirral dot down. 5 -0 conversion missed.

Kendal kept to their game plan and got a shot for 3 points which just shaded the post. 
Kendal continued to attack strongly with the ball going down their back line into the Wirral 22.

A try looked certain (3 on 1) but great communication in defence as in “name your man” our Winger came across from the far side in sweeping defence and ran past the ball carrier trusting his centre to make the tackle, the Kendal offload saw Wirral’s defence stretched, but not breached as the winger got tackled. Still dominating possession Kendal kept Wirral in their 22 and some good forward pops and passes marshalled very well by the scrum half saw them drive over the line. 5 – 5 Conversion missed. The Kendal pack clearly fancied their chances and did the same again.

Great mauling, communication, pop passes and forwards running great channels, taking the ball at pace and crashing over 5 - 10. Converted 5 – 12. Kendal had their tails up at half-time.

Playing towards the Clubhouse Wirral got the message from our Head Coach and Ange got her camera out. After a bit of aerial ping pong, Wirral ended up on the Kendal 22 and sustained phases for the first time in the game from Wirral (the first half we didn’t get above 4 phases) saw a cheeky / cute / class offload and Wirral piled over. Duly converted 12 – 12.

The Wirral pack then started to come into their own and won some hard-fought possession. Good fitness from the pack saw a promising attack from Wirral stopped by a great tackle from Kendal and after the stoppage the Kendal lad played on. There was no lack of commitment from either side.
Going into the final quarter the sun shone down on the first team pitch, Wirral managed to get the ball to the wing for the 1st time in the game and scored but the kick missed.

Kendal came straight back and camped in Wirral’s 22 very

close to the try line, but our scrum just had the edge in defence. Wirral with a clearing kick from a penalty made territory and the resulting lineout won, drove their way into the Kendal 22. A clean break through the centre of the back line following Wirral sucking in the Kendal defence saw Wirral run in under the sticks. Try converted. 24 -12.

Kendal played their game and where right back in the Wirral 22.

More strong drives from the Kendal forwards saw them power over to make the score 24 – 19. Conversion missed.

The game ended with a score of Wirral 24 v 19 Kendal.