THE victim of a stabbing attack has thanked the shop workers who stepped in to help him.

Andrew Hearn was in Boots in Kendal with a friend when an altercation broke out.

The 38-year-old, who lives in Bleaswood Road, said he suffered three stab wounds in the arm, hip and face.

“There was blood gushing out of my cheek. It all happened so fast. It was ‘bang bang bang’ then someone shouted he has a knife," he said.

“Two members of staff got him away and I’m really thankful for them for helping me.

“I actually went into Boots with flowers and chocolates to say thank you.”

Emergency services rushed to Stricklandgate around 3.15pm on Wednesday (January 18) following reports a man had suffered stab wounds.

Mr Hearn was airlifted to Preston Royal Hospital and underwent a number of tests to assess the extent of the injuries.

He said: “I’m still in a state of shock. I’m in a lot of pain. They did a CT scan and ultrasound to test how bad the injuries were.

“They found no blood on my lungs which was really lucky.

“I had stitches on my hip and on my arm and had plastic surgery on Monday in Preston for my face.”

Mr Hearn said he feels scared to leave his house.

“I’m already struggling with PTSD so for this to happen is really awful,” he said.

“I haven’t really gone out since without someone because I’ve felt so shook up.

“I feel scared all the time; I don’t think I’ll go into Boots again.

“I don’t feel angry, I feel sad this has happened.”

Acting Detective Inspector Lee Brumpton said: “Any report of an assault involving a knife is taken extremely seriously. In this instance, police and our NWAS colleagues responded swiftly to the incident and the suspect was under arrest and the injured man receiving treatment within minutes.

“We continue to urge anyone who witnessed the incident or the moments leading up to it to come forward in order to help officers with their on-going investigation.”

James Smith, 28, of Collinfield, Kendal, has been charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and possession of a bladed article in a public place.

He has been remanded in custody until his next appearance at Carlisle Crown Court on February 17.

Officers are continuing to investigate and are urging anyone who witnessed what occurred and is yet to come forward - or anyone else with information which might assist - to contact police.

Anyone with information relating to this incident can report online at , quoting incident number 121 of 18 January 2023. You can also phone on 101.

Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.